I-PAN project aims at providing novel and highly environmental friendly solutions in the field of engineering wood (EW) based boards.
The main challenge for the light wood-based panel industry is to reach higher level functional characteristic of Lightweight Strand Board (LSB) by engineering traditional wood based panels through innovation in Oriented Strands Board (OSB) manufacturing process as well as by continuously increasing the efforts to manage and use valuable resources in a sustainable manner throughout the entire life-cycle. Recovery and recycling of wood residues also forms an integral part of the eco-efficient utilization of resources.
The I-PAN project will develop and demonstrate the environmental benefits brought by its advanced solutions by:
- reducing the pressure on forests derived raw materials use, thanks to the maximization of use of selected poplar plantations allowing 7-8 years poplar growth cycle;
- reducing the quantity of wood as a input of the overall process, thanks to the use of 50% made of re-cycled wood;
- reducing the wastes and consumptions along the overall manufacturing process, starting from an optimal use of raw material to the several steps needed for wood treatment and final product release;
- reducing the quantity and presence of hazardous and volatile chemicals by developing a new formaldehyde-based resin suitable for the necessary bonding recycled wood;
- reducing the carbon footprint by innovating the production process and decreasing the number of felled trees;
- enhancing the EU competitiveness in the eco-friendly global market.